About This Resource
Backyard Blues was written and recorded by Susie Davies-Splitter & Phil Splitter for children up to 10 years.
This story song is about the magic that can take place in one’s backyard with a cat that sings and scats, a dog that plays a kazoo, 3 ducks that dance around, a budgie that bops, a spider that waltzes on the water pipe and a crazy caterpillar shaking it’s legs to the jazzy sound.
It was scintilatin’ devastatin’ motivatin’ jive, a funky kind of sound that made you glad to be alive. Fascinating syncopating grab your dancing shoes, everybody’s boppin’ to the backyard blues.
This story song gives children opportunities to dance, sing, play kazoos, role play and play percussion instruments. With simple props and costumes you can create a beautiful mini musical or performance piece.
This Story Song and Resource Pack Includes
- A fully illustrated story book for kids up to 10 years (PDF)
- Activity Guide (PDF) Containing:
- Learning Outcomes
- Activities – including role play, singing, movement, dance, playing kazoos and percussion instruments
- Music notation and ukulele chords
- Colouring Page
- YouTube Animation and lyric video
- A Link to a Digital Interactive Flipbook with Audio Narration
- “Backyard Blues” Audio Track (Mp3) – also available in our Razzamajazz Collection
Note: This product will be available to download immediately after purchase and will not be shipped to you.
- To listen to the story and do the actions
- To make the vocalisations and sound effects in the story
- To play the sound effects on percussion instruments
- To role play and move to the story
- To read the story
- To draw a caterpillar and butterfly
- To perform and create a mini musical or performance piece
About the ‘Sing Me a Story’ Series
Listen, read, sing, move, play instruments and improvise with our collection of story songs that are accessible for all young children (3-8 years).
Music is a powerful tool for learning. It can be used in teaching literacy (pre-reading, reading, writing and spelling) and other curriculum areas and at the same time help foster creativity, self-esteem and confidence in all children. These stories can be extended by expanding and developing the characters or creating new material, as well as developing mini musicals by including visual arts, textiles and design.
Our ‘Sing Me a Story’ series of rich, original and traditional story songs for children includes:
- ‘The Dinosaur Who Lost His Roar’
- ‘Pat the Pirate’
- ‘Rocket Sam’
- ‘The Tiny Caterpillar’
- ‘Funkey Monkey’
- ‘The Fireman’s Barbeque’
Each beautifully illustrated book comprises song notation and access to the teacher’s notes and audio track.
Sole-User License Information – Please Read
- All of our digital books, activities & albums are licensed for a sole user which covers one individual teacher wherever they teach. If purchasing for multiple teachers at a school, we ask that you please purchase one copy per individual teacher.
- Upon purchase, you are granted one (1) sole user license holder to reproduce the music and words from this book in quantities suitable for their individual non-commercial classroom use only.
- All digital distributions to students must be behind a login or password and not publicly accessible.
- Your honesty and integrity are appreciated to keep composers like us writing and recording.
By purchasing from this website, you acknowledge that you have read and understand this agreement.
Susie & Phil’s Philosophy
- We believe that everyone can be a successful musical participant regardless of their background.
- To present music in a range of styles from folk to rap, world music, pop, rock and jazz.
- To enable the class teacher to easily reinforce the activities that are fun to implement
- To use a multi-modal, multi-sensory and whole-body approach to help make the learning stick.
- To encourage students to sing, move, dance, play instruments, create, explore, improvise compose and perform (It’s so good for their self-esteem, confidence and self-expression).
- To enrich lives and connect ourselves and others to our hearts and inner beauty and potential to be creative and compassionate human beings.
- To help students feel good about themselves, develop their self-expression and enhance health and well-being through the joy of music.
- To build happy and healthy communities through inclusive music for all ages, abilities and cultures
- To help raise the awareness of the importance of active music-making in schools and communities